Mount M'goun Ascent Trek
High Atlas is perhaps the wildest part of the Atlas mountains, dominated by the M’Goun (4068m). Wth stunning views of verdant valleys, gorges, remote villages and mountain peaks, here, hiking is the perfect way to discover the traditional local architecture and rural way of life. A favourite destination is the picturesque .
Day 3: M’Goun Summit
An early start for our 4 to 5 hour climb to the summit. The ascent is not technically difficult and the magnificent views, when we reach the top, make the effort worth while!. To return, we retrace our steps – a descent of about 3 hours.
M’Goun is the second-highest mountain of Northern Africa following the Jebel Toubkal. The summit offers zero climbing interest. However, it is a very attractive trekking destination, particularly when added to a 10-12 day, 200-kilometer circuit that includes the spectacular M’Goun river gorges and various remote Berber villages. The summit is not difficult in summer, however freak snowstorms do occur even in July and high winds are common (we experienced flying rocks). Perhaps 20 people reach the peak daily during this period. The elevation gain from the “base camp” directly to the north of M’Goun is about 1200 meters. Our Compnay ClimbinToubkal in this remote region use local Berber guides
- Group 1 person : On request
- Group 2 – 3 people : 480£/person
- Group 4 – 7 people : 410£/person
- Group 8 – 12 people :360 £/person
- Prices quoted are per person, based on sharing a twin room/2 person tent (unless otherwise stated). Additional hotel or riad nights after trek from 25 EUR p.p. twin/35 EUR single.
- Trek prices may vary depending of the season (High altitude Treks).
- Payment : can be done in € / $ / £ or MAD
- English speaking guide, and cook
- Muleteers and mules for luggages
- Full board on trek + mineral water, coffee and tea
- Accommodation in Mountain huts
- Ground transfers by minibuses / taxis: ( hotel – trek – hotel)
- Mess, cooking & toilet tents (camping option
- Travel insurance.
- Soft/alcoholic drinks
- Tips and personal expanses
This trek runs all year round and can depart at any date of your preference.
We usually have several treks departing each week that you may join , please get in Touch!!
- Good walking boots and socks / good trainers for valley treks
- Personnel First aid Kit
- 3 to 4 season sleeping bag ( winter) or light Sleeping bag ( Summer)
- Lightweight waterproof over-trousers / rain-pants
- Water bottle or camel back (recommended)
- Soft-sided bag (50-80 litres)
- Lightweight daypack
- Torch and batteries
- Towel & all personal toiletries
Most of those equipment can be rented locally from our equipment shop in Imlil:
- Crampons : 5 €/ Day/pair
- Ice Axe : 3 €/day
- Walking boots : 5 €/day
- Sleeping bags : 2.5 €/day
- Rain Jackets : 3 €/day
- Walking Poles : 3 €/day/pair
- Back packs : 3€/day
- Stoves : 2€/day
Easy – Medium – Hard
The accommodation during this trek will be either in camping if prefered (June-octo) or in the Mountain huts ( winter treks ).