Mt Toubkal & Zagora Desert 4d/3n
Good express Toubkal Mount ascent trek & Erg chebbi desert tour, In comparison to Erg Chebbi and Erg Chigaga, Zagora does not offer a real desert experience but is a good choice for family tours with children or anyone with limited time
Day 1 : Marrakech – Imlil – Toubkal Refuge
After a transfer to the little village of Imlil we begin our trek. Heading along the Maizane Valley, we first pass the village of Armed and then onto the shrine of Sidi Chamharouch. We then continue east and by crossing the flood plains our route takes us along mule tracks and up into the high rocky cliffs above the valley. Crossing the river we eventually come to the pastoral shrine of Sidi Chamharouch, which attracts tourists and pilgrims. From here the trail continues to climb steadily, snaking and zigzagging its way up to the snowline and the Toubkal Refuge (3206m), our stop for the night. Approx. 5 to 6hrs walking.
Day 2 : Toubkal Refuge – Toubkal Summit – Imlil
Early in the morning we make our attempt on the summit of Jebel Toubkal, the highest peak in Northern Africa. Our route takes us up the south cirque, crossing the stream above the refuge. The walking is relatively straightforward, but the screwy and the altitude will make the going quite difficult in parts. The views along the way make the journey more than worthwhile. When you reach the summit you will see that the vistas across the surrounding landscape are quite breathtaking. From here there are unrestricted views in every direction,
We will retrace our steps when we return down the mountain and head back towards Imlil wher you will spend the night
Day 3 : Imlil – Ait Ben Haddou – Ouarzazate – Agdez – Draa valley – Zagora
Early start from imlil, towards the Haut Atlas via the col of Tizi n’Tichka (at an altitude of 2260m) going through Ait Ben Haddou Kasbah ; visit of the fortified villageís Kasbah (lunch on the spot). In the afternoon, road towards Ouarzazate to continue to Zagora by way of the Anti-Atlas, the Berber village of Agdez and the Draa Valley with its procession of palm trees.
Arrival in Zagora, change 4×4 for dromedaries to admire the sunset and spend the night under canvas.
Dinner and night in bivouac under canvas
Go back to Marrakech in the afternoon.
- Group 1 person : 588€
- Group 2 – 3 people : 476€/person
- Group 4 – 7 people : 350€/person
- Group 8 – 12 people : 300€/person
NB : Extra 20Euros/person extra from Nov to April to cover porters & extra for mountain hut winter ratesIncluded
- Prices quoted are per person, based on sharing a twin room/2 person tent (unless otherwise stated). Additional hotel or riad nights after trek from 25 EUR p.p. twin/35 EUR single.
- Trek prices may vary depending of the season (High altitude Treks).
- Payment : can be done in € / $ / £ or MAD
- English speaking guide, and cook
- Muleteers and mules for luggages
- Full board on trek + mineral water, coffee and tea
- Accommodation at Neltner Mountain hut
- Ground transfers by minibuses / taxis: ( hotel – trek – hotel )
- Mess, cooking & toilet tents (camping option )
- 4×4 / mini-bus with english speaking drive
- 1overnight camping on the Dunes (HB)
- Camel ride on the dunes
- Travel insurance.
- Soft/alcoholic drinks
- Tips and personal expanses
This trek runs all year round and can depart at any date of your preference.
We usually have several treks departing each week that you may join , please get in Touch!!
- Good walking boots and socks / good trainers for valley treks
- Personnel First aid Kit
- 3 to 4 season sleeping bag ( winter) or light Sleeping bag ( Summer)
- Lightweight waterproof over-trousers / rain-pants
- Water bottle or camel back (recommended)
- Soft-sided bag (50-80 litres)
- Lightweight daypack
- Torch and batteries
- Towel & all personal toiletries
Most of those equipment can be rented locally from our equipment shop in Imlil:
- Crampons : 5 €/ Day/pair
- Ice Axe : 3 €/day
- Walking boots : 5 €/day
- Sleeping bags : 2.5 €/day
- Rain Jackets : 3 €/day
- Walking Poles : 3 €/day/pair
- Back packs : 3€/day
- Stoves : 2€/day
Easy – Medium – Hard
The Accommodation during this trek can either be in a mountain hut for the winter treks or on camping if prefered from June -Octo
1 overnight camping on the dunes (nomad tents)
NB : If accommodation is required in the Atlas Mountains either before or after the trek, we can always book you at our place in Imlil